History of MAG

Join us!




When the Medical Association of Georgia was founded in 1849, Victoria was Queen of England; Zachary Taylor was in the White House; and the gold rush was on in California, which wasn't even a state yet.

Georgia had a population of 900,000 people, more than half of whom were slaves. The state boasted more miles of railroads than any other state in the Union. Milledgeville was the state capital; Savannah and Augusta were the two largest cities, and Atlanta was just a village called Terminus.

How things have changed! MAG's purpose has also changed in the past 165 years to reflect the needs and interests of our membership. But in large measure, the aims of the association have held true to the objectives set forth at the first meeting in 1849.

Today, MAG represents about 7,800 members. Those members are organized across the state into a unified voice for medicine, regardless of specialty or type of practice. Government, business, and Georgia's citizens look to us as the association for Georgia's medical profession.

On March 20, 1849, a small group of Georgia physicians met in Macon. Those first members of what would become the Medical Association of Georgia proclaimed a set of goals: "The advancement of medical knowledge - the elevation of professional character - the protection of the interests of its members - the extension of the bounds of Medical Science, and the promotion of all measures adapted to relieve suffering humanity and to protect the lives and improve the health of the community."

The Medical Association of Georgia has gone through several name changes during its long history. Founded in 1849 as the Medical Society of the State of Georgia, the name was changed to the Medical Association of Georgia a decade later, in 1859. The name changed again in 1863 to the Georgia Medical Association. Ten years later, the name was changed back to the Medical Association of Georgia.